Sunday, October 24, 2010

Halloween Challenge #24

Jennifer's Body was a movie I never intended to watch. As many of you know, I have an aversion to Megan Fox, but once I realized Amanda Seyfried was in it I was sold. I have a soft spot for Seyfried (as well as at least one hard spot). I did not realize either that Diablo Cody wrote it, and Dr. Skoda/Vern Schillinger was in it. Oh, and Amy Sedaris. Frankly, the movie changed my mind a bit about Fox. I am still not as impressed as many with her hotness, but she did surprisingly well in the role. At least when you consider how low my expectations were.

I don't want to get too into the story, lest I give something away, but it is a pretty good monster movie with the standard Diablo Cody high school slang, It is a high school movie with gore. It has all the elements that make Jawbreaker and Mean Girls fun, but then there is an actual monster to be dealt with.

Verdict: Has the Whiteplume seal of approval.

8 comments:

Copyboy said...

I thought Diablo nailed this one – A first rate Monster-Fest.

The Acrobatic Flea said...

It's great to read other positive reviews of this. I thought it was great as well, delivering on all its promises and being surprisingly entertaining as well.

http://www.heropress.net/2010/02/dvd-of-week-jennifers-body-2009.html

Lisa said...

I LOVE this movie so much.
I also never intended to watch it, but did on a friend's birthday and bought the DVD afterwards.
It's the only time I thought of Megan Fox as attractive, mainly in the scenes where she is a bit roughed-up.
And the ending is great, too.
I never expected it to be this good (in my humble opinion).

And yes, I always name it together with my favourite 'childhood' movie Jawbreaker. And this has to mean something, since it's sacred to me :D

Darius Whiteplume said...

@CB - I have liked Diablo Cody since reading Candy Girl, her memoir. It is not for the faint of heart, but nicely done.

@Flea - I was dead set against this one, but I think that helped. I tend to be disappointed when I am into something early. For a modern monster film it is remarkably good.

@Lisa - Jawbreaker is indeed a work of holy scripture in my book. I originally watched it because The Donnas were in it, if briefly, but fell in love. The end scene with McGowan leaving the prom is fantastic. A great, great film. If you are not familiar with Yum Yum of House of Self Indulgence, there is a glowing review there.

Nathan said...

I still have no intention of seeing this movie, but I have to agree on Amanda Seyfried. I don't think I've ever actually seen her in anything, but she's quite attractive. And I understand she wore nerdy glasses in this movie, which only helps matters.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Nathan - Seyfried was the "if you're from Africa then why aren't you black" girl in Mean Girls and was the murdered friend in Veronica Mars. She does indeed portray a nerd girl in Jennifer's Body. I may have to turn in my Megan Fox Haters card, as this one was surprisingly good.

Nathan said...

I guess I don't necessarily have cause to HATE Megan Fox. I just don't find her that attractive, and I'm sick of the media telling me I should.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Agreed. People are often shocked (including my wife) when I say Fox doesn't do much for me. I will say she was pretty good in this. I still don't plan on sitting through any Transformers movies just because she's in them though.

Post a Comment