Monday, October 25, 2010

Halloween Challenge #25

Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde is a late Hammer entry that modifies the story of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It's not great by Hammer standards, but not terrible either. I do like Ralph Bates (Jekyll) and Martine Beswick (Hyde) definitely brings the sexy evil. The weirdest part was the neighbors upstairs who are more than willing to just enter his apartment as though they were a family of Victorian Kramers.

I have not read Stevenson's story, so I am not sure what liberties they have taken, aside of course for the gender-bending aspect. Here, Hyde is perhaps more diabolical than I typically think of the "Incredible Hulk" version of the alter-ego. If nothing else, it does make me want to read it.

Verdict: There are certainly worse Hammer films, but this is hardly one of the best.

6 comments:

Copyboy said...

I've actually seen clips of this. Erotically scary!

Darius Whiteplume said...

It has its moments. Both sides of the character are pretty numb to murder, and while it is not as gory as you might expect, it gets fairly brutal at times.

Tenebrous Kate said...

Holy cow... this is synchronicity at its weirdest! I just posted my review of the IDENTICAL film this morning :D I think I felt significantly more favorably towards this weird little flick than you did, but FWIW Baron XIII agrees with your verdict entirely. He spent much of the run time asleep on the couch, so I had to re-play the first transformation scene for him so he'd believe that the film did have *some* boobs in it. The sacrifices we make for our spouses (and spousal analogs, in my case)...!

Darius Whiteplume said...

You can always count on Martine for some titty time.

On the synchronicity tip, you were in a dream of mine the night before I watched this. Nothing vulgar, save that you did not like me very much; so the vulgarity would have been on my part. :-)

I really did like a lot of the acting. It's a shame Ralph Bates didn't do more with the twenty years he had after this came out. I am now dying to see him as Caligula after looking up his bio on the IMDb. He'd have made a good Sade or Sadean villain as well, I would imagine. I could see him going a tad effeminate to play Dolmancé.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I saw this movie. I really liked it. I have read the original book as well.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Brooke - I loved "Treasure Island" but could not get into "The Wrong Box" - I will have to give Jekyll a try soon.

You might like "Myron" by Gore Vidal. It is similar to this story and follows up on "Myra Breckinridge."

Post a Comment