Friday, October 1, 2010

Halloween Challenge Day #1

Eyes of Laura Mars stars Faye Dunaway, Tommy Lee Jones, Brad Dourif, Raul Julia... Can you go wrong with a cast like that? I think not. Plus, the story is by John Carpenter... Hell, Barbara Streisand even did a song for the movie. You've got to be kidding me? Why have I never seen this before?

Dunaway is Laura Mars, an art photographer who begins having visions of murders. Lt. Neville (Jones) is handling the case. The suspects are everywhere, including driver/ex-con Tommy (Dourif), ex-husband Michael (Julia), and flamboyant assistant Donald (Rene Auberjonois), among a cast of others and unseens. I dare say this is an American Giallo, but I'll let my more Eurosleaze trained colleagues decide that one. The killer here favors an icepick, which may not be a weapon of choice for Italian fashion model murderers.

Verdict: Great ending, well done movie. Not scary from end to end, but when it gets there it is pretty shocking.

6 comments:

Tim Brannan said...

It is an awesome movie.

dfordoom said...

I like this movie as well. And I'd agree in calling it a giallo.

Wings said...

I have never seen this one, myself, and I did not realize it was made up of such talent!

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Tim/DfD - I don't know why I never watched it before. I remember it coming out in theaters, but was a tad young then.

@Wings - It is really well done and nobody's talent is wasted.

dr.morbius said...

This is totally an American giallo (so is De Palma's Dressed to Kill, btw). I like it well enough, but its pedigree is almost too much for the actual quality of the movie. Glad to see you off to a good start, in any event.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Dr. M - I am a bit surprised that it was so very 1978, but was dated without being dated... if that makes any sense at all. I do always find it odd when there is the inexplicable southern cop in NYC. Maybe that is why TLJ tends to play Federales these days?

Post a Comment