Monday, November 8, 2010

Fan-Boy Icon #27

Charles Napier came to fame (in a manner of speaking) with Russ Meyer. He appeared in Cherry, Harry and Raquel!, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, The Seven Minutes, and Supervixens. He was very much the Russ Meyer ideal of manliness; a southerner with a square jaw and a tough guy personae. Napier has done a ton of work including a lot of television, and several movies, including The Silence of the Lambs, where he portrays one of the guards Hannibal Lechter kills to escape custody. He does a good deal of voice work also in video games, Superman: the Animated Series, and Adult Swim's Squidbillies. The image to the right is from the Star Trek episode "The Way to Eden" - subject of my very first post!

Napier is funny, but plays serious well. Probably his most outstanding, and disturbing role, is as Harry Sledge in Supervixens. He is an evil brute who murders SuperVixen (Shari Eubank) and then goes after her husband and his new girlfriend. The murder is one of the most gruesome I have seen in a film, and haunts me to this day.

5 comments:

The Angry Lurker said...

Always remember him from The Blues Brothers.

J.D. said...

Yeah, he played a very scary redneck in THE BLUES BROTHERS. Nobody can quite drop the F bomb with such venom as he did in that film.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I may have to check that out now (I thought I commented, but do not see it). I get a little put off by Aykroyd, but I do like the bits I remember.

Heather Drain said...

LOVE Charles Napier! Awesome actor with such a huge presence on screen. Once you lay eyes on him as Harry Sledge in "Supervixens," you will never forget him.

Darius Whiteplume said...

True, he is a striking figure.

Post a Comment