Friday, November 26, 2010

Premature Book Review: Doctor Who, the Coming of the Terraphiles (Michael Moorcock, 2010)

This is my first Doctor Who book. I have read a Torchwood book, which was okey. I mostly decided on this one because Michael Moorcock wrote it. You might know Moorcock as the author of the Elric stories, among others. This book has The 11th Doctor and Amy Pond in the distant future among a sort of Anachronism Society that lives its life according to a believed 20th Century Earth, that is England spanning from the Crusades to World War II.

Well, it is a bit corny. I am no huge Doctor Who fan, but it smacks a bit of the impression I get of the Tom Baker "let's make fun of our show" years. However, it also reminds me of Moorcock's "End of Time" books, which had the remainder of humanity obsessed with the past while being entirely ignorant of it. The style, though, reminds me even more of Piers Anthony, but I am more familiar with the grim tales of Elric and the pulpy fantasies of Ancient Mars. Maybe I am forgetting what Moorcock's humor is like?

I do think the book is nicely suited for the Doctor Who familiar, as there is very little fan service. The only race mentioned thus far (aside from humans, obviously) are the Jundoon, which are not treated as a race you should already be familiar with. There is also very little interaction with the TARDIS or in fact The Doctor in the first 100 pages. So, it is not thus far even really a Doctor Who story. Certainly that will change as things go on, but to me it is more accessible to those of us with a passing knowledge of the time traveling hero.

More serious Who fans might wish to check out The Acrobatic Flea's review at Hero Press. He was less impressed with it, and I gather related it to a Carry On version of The Doctor. For a less-than-serious sci-fi fantasy it is enjoyable, but hardcore fans of The Doctor might be less impressed.

5 comments:

The Acrobatic Flea said...

Thanks for the nod there ;)

Darius Whiteplume said...

NP :-)

chris said...

Sorry, haven't read a TV novel since the Man from U.N.C.L.E. Probably won't read this one, Michael Moorcock or no. But thanks anyway and thanks for all your sites and all the work you do.
Anyway, as a reward, hie yourself to DEATH RAY! Saw this on b3ta.com and immediately thought of you. not sure if Sybil Danning is there but I'll bet you could ask.

Mickey said...

I am reading my first Doctor Who book! But it's not this one. It's got the Third Doctor, Jo, Liz, AND RASPUTIN. The writing is okay, but I probably wouldn't have picked it up if had been any other Doctor/companion(s) pairing. Well, maybe Sarah! Jane!, but the 11th Doctor and Amy? I'd rather watch Sylvester McCoy or Colin Baker. Seriously. =)

Darius Whiteplume said...

@chris - I'll have to check that out, thanks.

@MG - Glad you found a way to comment! Rasputin, eh? I assume he's the bad guy, though you can never tell with The Doctor, can you?

Post a Comment