Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Room (Tommy Wiseau, 2003)

I fought with myself over how to begin a review of this much discussed, much loved, low budget film. I was not even sure if I should dedicate a whole post to it. Chances are if you are interested in The Room you have likely seen it, or read plenty about it.

The Room is in many ways poorly acted, poorly written, poorly shot, an has very rudimentary editing. On these points alone you might not want to waste time with it, but I must say that for me it was the closest thing to a religious experience I have had; it does not make complete sense, and I don't fully understand it, but I want to. I want to knock on your door Saturday morning, watch this movie with you and help you accept it as your lord an savior. I don't know why I want that, but I do. I want to understand its mysteries, fill its plot holes. I am not being sarcastic. I swear on my signed copy of A Wrinkle in Time.

I can't really explain it any more than this. If you get the opportunity to watch it, please give it a try. It is corny from the start, but it grabbed me. At no point did I want to stop watching, nor was I praying it would end soon. And I knew it was bad all along. I knew that I knew it was bad, but could not stop. I don't know what you will think, but neither will you if you don't try.

12 comments:

Bubbashelby said...

Never heard of it. May have to give it a try.

Myra said...

And old boyfriend made me watch this once. I resisted at first, but I warmed up to it pretty quickly. It's hysterical!

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Bubba Shelby - It is odd.

@Myra - I love the tantrum he threw at the end. It was so ambivalent :-)

Lisa said...

"I want to knock on your door Saturday morning, watch this movie with you and help you accept it as your lord an savior."

I tried this with my friends and they hated me for it :D

This movie is pure gold. Too good to be unseen.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Lisa - My wife said she'll watch it, but I'm not sure she'll go for it. :-)

The Acrobatic Flea said...

Oh, now you've gone and one it... another one to add to the "must see" list!

Shutterbugz said...

never heard of this film but I will check it out asap if you feel that strongly about it lol

Darius Whiteplume said...

It is hard to explain... It is oddly stirring.

Nathan said...

I only know of this movie from the Nostalgia Critic's review, but it doesn't appear to be up anymore.

Darius Whiteplume said...

It is a strange one. I liked it.

Spiegelman said...

This is one of the best/worst films ever. You need to see it with an audience. Tommy comes to the screenings and answers questions before the movie starts.

Someone made a "The Room" video game. The link to the game and my audio review here.

http://proudlyresents.com/the-room/

Thanks for the post.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I have heard of the game, but never tried it out. I will stop by you site. Thanks for stopping by :-)

Post a Comment