Friday, December 17, 2010

Nerd Girl of Note #92

Call me crazy, but I have always loved Sandra Bernhard. She has, throughout her career been this outsider that does not go away. She is clever, funny, and yes sexy, but just does not fit in with the mainstream. Of course, as George Carlin said, "the reason the mainstream is referred to as a stream is because of its shallowness." Of course, that is not to say that if you don't like her we have a problem. She is not for everybody. Fortunately she knows it.

Sandra appeared on many shows during the 1980s and 1990s, notably as a lesbian on Roseanne. She was also in The King of Comedy with Robert DeNiro and Hudson Hawk with Bruce Willis.

A film adaptation of her one-woman show titled Without You I'm Nothing (Netflix) is extremely funny, and she embraces the ambivalence the public feels for her. Each time the emcee introduces her he calls her "Sarah Bernhard" and the faux audience is typically shown as either bored or hostile towards her. In the end she sings Prince's "Little Red Corvette" and does a striptease. Before it is over you see that the crowd has left, save one woman who writes on the table before her in lipstick, "fuck Sandra Bernhard." It is an uncomfortable film. Not everything Bernhard says is funny, and many of the laughs are of the uncomfortable variety; that I feel is where the brilliance lay. She is very into art and high-fashion, both of which are supposed to shock, and often nothing is more shocking that pointing out the ridiculousness of one's self.

I'll close with a quote that I rather like, then some pictures.

"My father was a proctologist and my mother was an abstract artist, so that’s how I view the world."








8 comments:

Nathan said...

My wife has told me she finds Sandra Bernhard attractive, and that the main reason is probably her mouth.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I think my wife is always shocked that I find her attractive, but we have typically dissimilar taste in women. :-)

Tommy Salami said...

Oh, I always thought she was hot. I like a good sneer :)
I saw her perform in Minneapolis, at a small venue. She's very funny.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Sneers are incredibly important.

Smatchimo said...

There have times when I found her character to be a little grating, but this article has shed a different light, thanks!

Lisa said...

The Playboy-Cover is amazing. Every Playboy cover should be impish instead of 'sexy'.
Draws much more attention.

Heather Drain said...

Love her. From "King of Comedy" to "Reel Wild Cinema" and everything in between. She's gorgeous and unlike a lot of current celebrities, she actually stands out.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Smatchimo - I think that is part of the act. She seems very nice on Twitter, and even read this post, I believe.

@Lisa - True. There is enough of that on the inside; depending on your tastes ;-)

@Heather - I have not seen "King of Comedy" despite loving DeNiro and Minnelli. Must get a hold of it.

Post a Comment