Monday, January 3, 2011

Fan-Boy Icon #34

A great actor that you at times do not recognize immediately is Parisian born Vincent Cassel. Some of his notable films include Elizabeth (1998), The Messenger (1999), Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001), Shrek (2001), and Eastern Promises (2007). We are bringing him up today because it gives us a chance to talk about Black Swan.

I had heard nothing concrete about Black Swan, save that people all over the interwebs were raving about how great it was. I had not seen a commercial, nor read a review or synopsis. The wife wanted to see it, an when I hear Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis in the same breath I am sold.

Cassel plays the slightly pervy ballet director who casts second-stringer Natalie Portman as the lead in "Swan Lake" though he feels she lacks the sexuality needed to pull off the evil Black Swan portion of the role. Portman's transformation begins to take place in a rather shocking fashion.

The synopsis I was read called this an erotic thriller. It is erotic, and it is thrilling, but deep down it is a horror movie. There are some serious flinch moments, and even my jaded mind jumped and perhaps even let loose an audible "oh shit." It is an intriguing movie, and enjoyable. I won't say it was fun, but man did I like it.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I just came back from watching Black Swan (here it was released on Thursday), so I am going to comment on this now.

I was amazed by the film. First I was suspicious, because I though it might be overrated, but no. It is very intense. Emotional, sensitive, sexual. Very good film. I was close to crying so many times. Oh, the female emotions.
I'll probably see it again.

I was delighted to see Cassel, because somehow I did not notice him in the trailers and wasn't too familiar with the press releases. He isn't exactly the man I'd imagine as the ballet teacher. Probably because they are often portrayed as very camp and I got carried away by this stereotype. He perfectly fits into the role though. Great choice.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I was a little suspicious because everyone on the web was saying how great it was, which tends to put me off. I do like the way they handled Cassel's character. I always think of Baryshnikov as being a bit of a lady-killer, and certainly Bob Fosse was all about the ladies. I'll definitely give this one another go when it hits DVD.

Post a Comment