Thursday, January 27, 2011

Short Film Reviews

American Grindhouse is a history of exploitation films with famous and not-so-famous interviewers. John Landis gets a lot of screen time, but so does Herschell Gordon Lewis and Jack Hill. If you are an exploitation fan there is probably little new info for you here, but some little tidbits you might not know, such as the notorious Freaks was made by MGM as competition for Universal's monster films.

Netflix / IMDb

Verdict: Not bad, but I preferred Not Quite Hollywood.

A Dirty Shame by John Waters is a zombie movie. Except that the zombies are sex addicts taking over a Maryland town. Tracey Ullman, Chris Isaak, Selma Blair and Johnny Knoxville star. An interesting bit is how for such a filthy movie it is self censored. I don't think there is any nudity or coarse language. I am pretty sure you could show it uncut on television, save for the subject matter.

Netflix / IMDb

Verdict: A bit different for Waters fans, but funny when you give it some time.

5 comments:

Tommy Salami said...

A Dirty Shame was rated NC-17, despite no nudity, humorous tone, etc. And they cut a scene where Knoxville unzips his pants and a snake emerges.
It just goes to show you how stupid the MPAA is about sex.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I'm sure Selma Blair's falsies were totally to blame, but yeah, they are severely out of touch.

Kal said...

I have a special place in my heart for 'A Dirty Shame' I came in on my Mother watching this one as it started and we both watched it together. Instead of either of us being creeped out we laughed our fricken' asses off. It was the first time I ever say my mother fall out of a chair laughing. Watching Traci Ulman do that dance in the nursing home with the water bottle just about killed my Mother because she lauged so hard she almost stopped breathing. Who knew? My mother is all class but she does love the low-brow comedies like 'National Lampoon's Class Trip' and all ten seasons of 'Married With Children'. I can never let her know that something like 'Jack-Ass' is out there or she would demand the whole box set.

Chris Wood said...

Seriously good site and I'm glad you included John Waters.

Could you mention my new book, "Sherlock Holmes and the Flying Zombie Death Monkeys"? It's a B movie in a book, an updating of the sleuth complete with humour, sex, violence and lots of other good bits and pieces.

It'd be great if you could do this, and I'd be happy to email you a PDF of the book and artwork for the site.

Regards
Chris Wood

PS Get in touch through cjohnwood@gmail.com

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Kal - It is always strange what we find out our mothers enjoy. :-) I thought this was a funny movie. I think I like Johnny Knoxville better every time I see him.

@Chris - I'll send you an email.

Post a Comment