Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Trash Tuesday: Die You Zombie Bastards! (Caleb Emerson, 2005)

Billed as "The World's First Ever Serial Killer Superhero Rock'n'Roll Zombie Road Movie Romance," Die You Zombie Bastards! first came my way via Ms. Monster's Hel on Ice, but also streams on Netflix. I wish I had seen it before doing my Sid & Marty Krofft post, as this one definitely has an influence. A twisted and perverted influence, but that seems natural.

The story. Are you sitting down? Good.

Red Toole is a serial killer, much in the Son of Sam or Monster of Florence vein with his slaying of couples on the make, but is also a cannibal so there is a touch of Dahmer and Hannibal Lechter there. His wife Violet Toole is on board, and extremely enthusiastic. Baron Nefarious of Hell Island has created a zombie ray which he plans to use to take over the world. He creates a few zombies, notably the Maldonato sisters. When Nefarious sees Violet on the television show Wifeswapping Rodeo, he decides to kidnap her. This brings Red into action, using the superhero costume Violet designed for him, complete with cape made of human skin.


This movie is, to be honest, everything it says it is. There is a lot of cheese, and the budget is low, but they are certainly not tricking you into seeing it. If you think it is a good idea to see a film called Die You Zombie Bastards! then you are not going to be disappointed. There is a lot of naked zombie girls, and faux flesh eating. Baron Nefarious is something between a Sid & Marty Krofft Charles Nelson Reilly villain and Frisky Dingo's Killface. There is surprisingly little blue screen in it (if any), so the sets tend to have a very old school trash appeal.






2 comments:

The Vicar of VHS said...

I caught this a couple years back, and for the first 15 minutes or so was really annoyed by it; the jokes seemed forced, the "low budget on our sleeve" aesthetic like a pale imitation of Troma or a GWAR video, and the plot beyond ridiculous. But then a strange thing happened...for lack of a better description, I began to feel the rhythm of the movie, the beats of the serial killer/hero's odd inflections--I guess I started to "get" it. After that, it was nothing but fun for me, and I ended up enjoying the movie a great deal. I even bought the soundtrack. ;)

Definitely not a movie for everyone, but I think it's better and funnier than it has a right to be, and I had a great time with it. And that's all I ask of a movie, really!

Darius Whiteplume said...

I caught on pretty quickly, though Ms. Monster certainly helped during the breaks, plus the writer and director were on the IRC feed, which was fun.

The Moldanado zombie outfits were awesome ;-)

I thought it was a clever film, but yeah, not for everyone, and you just might have to give it a chance to get its tentacles around you.

Post a Comment