Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Fall (Tarsem Singh, 2006)

I try not to say "watch this movie" very often, so I hope when I say it at the end of this review you will not take it lightly.

The Fall stars Lee Pace (Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies) as Roy, a movie stunt double who has been injured doing a big stunt and lost his girlfriend to the actor he was doubling for. While in the hospital he befriends a young girl, Alexandria (Catinca Untaru) who he hopes to dupe into aiding his suicide attempt. To gain her trust, and keep her interested, he begins telling her an epic story of five men sworn to kill the same enemy; Governor Odious. The tale changes as the two become friends.

Now, that might sound like it is some happy, feel good film; and it has its moments, but I am not ashamed to say I was crying myself dry during a lot of it. It is a tragic story full of loss. Roy's loss and depression, his mistreatment of the girl who has come to love him, and the simple evils of the world all conspire to make this a touching and heart-wrenching film.

Singh's directorial style is very akin to Terry Gilliam (Brazil, The Twelve Monkeys) and Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labirynth, Hellboy II: The Golden Army). Things are dreamy and not always as they seem. He also uses huge landscapes that at times reminds you of Lawrence of Arabia. Pace is very good, displaying his standard charm while putting forth a dramatic side we rarely get to see. Untaru is, I hate to say, disturbingly cute and tragic. I do not like "aw, look at the little girl crying" movies, but she seems to be either terribly talented, or Singh directed her beautifully.

So, hearkening back to my earlier warning, I say, "you need to see this movie."

Thanks to my friend and NGoN Darla Crane for reminding me how long this one sat unwatched in my queue. It streams on Netflix, if you are so enabled.

2 comments:

Kal said...

This is so wierd. I saw this poster on Tumblr last night but I was too tired to write a review on the film or find the old one I did when I first found it last year. Then BOOM, here you are with yours. It's one of those films you never forget once you see it. The visuals are fantastic as are all the characters. This is one of the films I suggest when anyone asks what they should watch.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I did post the poster, so maybe that's part of the coincidence. The wife came home with about 10 minutes left and me balling like a fat kid with no cake. I offered to start it all over again. :-)

Post a Comment