Friday, February 11, 2011

Nerd Girl of Note #100

To me, no one delivers the "eat shit" look, while still being sweet and funny, angry and out of place like our Nerd Girl of Note #100. Molly Ringwald is in some of the best loved films of my generation, and possibly of yours. Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, and Pretty in Pink are some of the 1980's most defining films. Ringwald's importance in those films cannot be underrated. Sure, her characters don't get all the big re-quotable lines, but she is always at the crux of the story and it is her ability to carry off that role that makes these movies great. Ringwald was also very important to John Hughes, the man who made most of her films. Hughes was very interested in the music that went with his films, and Ringwald was instrumental in introducing him to bands that he did not know about.

A favorite role for me, because I love fan-service, is Not Another Teen Movie where Molly plays a flight attendant who berates the lead male for ripping off all of the great '80s movies when trying to win the lead girl back. She was very funny, and every bit Claire from The Breakfast Club.

8 comments:

Wings said...

Good choice! She is definitely a defining member of the 80s, without doubt.

Ray Rousell said...

I was her No1 fan back in the 80's, she was a stunner!!

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Wings - I always liked her, even when she plays the bitch.

@Ray - agreed. :-)

Kal said...

For me, she was my dream girl back in those John Hughes movies. You were right about that smile. It could take you to the heights or leave you crushed in the dust. I also like how she went away for many years and then came back older, a mother, but still gorgeous.

Elgart said...

She so amazing!

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Kal - I was never into her until I was older. I guess my main MR movie was The Breakfast Club, and she represented what I hated in high school. My youthful mind perhaps missed the point.

@Elgart - true.

Mickey Glitter said...

My only MR Brat Pack movie was The Breakfast Club, though Ally Sheedy was my favorite. However, MR *is* a red head and rates on that, plus she's an 80s icon. So it's a win-win. Great NGoN entry!

PS I <3 the new latter-day Whovian Princesses banner!! ;-)

Darius Whiteplume said...

I always thought "Sixteen Candles" was fun, and really loved "The Breakfast Club." I don't think I appreciated "Pretty in Pink" as a teen. Seems much more relevant to me now.

Post a Comment