Friday, February 4, 2011

Nerd Girl of Note #99

I think we all know I love the Trek, but am not really a Trekkie or Trekker. I do, at times wonder things like "what the hell happened to Yeoman Rand?"

Grace Lee Whitney played Yeoman Janice Rand on the original Star Trek series. Rand was Captain Kirk's attaché, if you will. Rand appeared in eight episodes of the original series, and four of the films based on it. I have a feeling she fell prey to the changes the second season brought about, such as the change to Chekhov versus the revolving cast of helmsmen. There was also more of a consolidation of the cast in the second season that brought us the cast most of us remember; Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhuru, Scotty, Sulu, Chekhov

Before Star Trek, Whitney did much of the standard television fare; Wagontrain, Gunsmoke, The Rifleman and others. She was also in the films House of Wax (Vincent Price), Some Like it Hot (Marilyn Monroe), and Irma La Douce (Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine).

I'd like to see Rand brought back in the next edition of the reboot Star Trek films, but frankly I think they are making good use of the base cast; the Gilligan's Island cast, if you will.

2 comments:

The Acrobatic Flea said...

Sadly I believe her story is more tragic, from what i recall Grace Lee Whitney was sexually assaulted by one of the suits on the show after one episode and then promptly fired.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Ugh. I did not see that. Like you I have been watching Series 1, and had been wondering what happened to Rand. This just furthers my belief that one should never trust management. I'll have to see what memory-alpha.org has on that.

Post a Comment