Monday, March 14, 2011

Mental Masochists, Enjoy!

I came across this by accident, and am enthralled. It is purported to be a Japanese IQ test given to executives. The point is not the story, or why characters behave as they do. The point is getting them accross. I have tried it several times with different modes of success, but there is a basic plan you have to follow. Here are the rules:
  • Only 2 people on the raft at a time.
  • The Father cannot stay with any of the daughters, without their Mother's presence.
  • The Mother cannot stay with any of the sons, without their Father's presence.
  • The thief (striped shirt) cannot stay with any family member, if the Policeman is not there.
  • Only the Father, the Mother and the Policeman know how to operate the raft.
Get ready to feel stupid for a while, but with some thought you should catch on. Supposedly only 10% of people can figure it out, though I imagine that is exagerated.

BTW: Click the circle to start. Click the people to put them on the raft. Click the post on the opposite side to move the raft.


10 comments:

Lisa said...

I had to do a similar test when I went to the psychiatrist (sounds great) and I love them, whilst they are driving me mad at the same time.
This one was great, although it took me some time. The animation at the end is really worth the effort though ;)
(also the family really needs a family therapy).

Darius Whiteplume said...

The version on my phone plays "Blitzkrieg Bop" by the Ramones in MIDI format :-)

I always wonder why the parents are aloud to beat the children when the cop is around. I guess Japan is like that? :-)

Lisa said...

Oh well, I know a Japanese mother and she never hits her kids.
I guess this game was programmed by evil conservative Americans in disguise, to spread prejudices. Well, I KNOW it.
(reading conspiracy theories all day long and now I am slowly building up my own skills on them)

The Vicar of VHS said...

After playing around a little, I got it in 8.5 moves, if a "move" is "over and back." (The .5 is the last "over" without a "back" trip.) There may be a shorter solution, but I can't find it right now. :P

The Vicar of VHS said...

And I swear I didn't look up the answers online! ;)

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Lisa - it is a stereotype, but I have heard of such things. I probably could have used a bit of smacking around as a child.

@Vic - It made me nuts for the first day, then riding in the car it all became clear. :-)

Darius Whiteplume said...

It is amazing how easily I forget how to do it. I know the end move, but somehow always forget how to acheive it!

Kal said...

It will make me crazy now for days. It's like the chicken, corn, farmer and fox riddle but I can never remember how to do that one either. I might just have to ask for the solution in a couple of days if I don't get it.

Darius Whiteplume said...

You'll get it. Mobility is the key ;-)

I don't think I know the fox/chicken one, but I think these two and the missionary/cannibal one are very similar.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I found a flash version of the Missionaries and Cannibals puzzle here. Not quite as difficult. Looking for the chicken/fox one.

Post a Comment