Friday, March 18, 2011

Nerd Girl of Note #105

What do you get when Rosalba Neri, Edwige Fenech and Lynda Carter get together to make a baby? I'd like to say you'd have Anitra Ford, but really I was just thinking about those three rolling around together... Sigh. Anyway, Anitra Ford has got quite the Nerd Girl resumé. She was one of the original "Barker's Beauties" from The Price is Right (along with Diane Parkinson), did a ton of television work, was in the Burt Reynolds movie The Longest Yard (1974), and two exploitation flicks, Invasion of the Bee Girls (1973), and Messiah of Evil (1973), and finally was in WIP classic The Big Bird Cage (1972).

Ford has the semi-rare, typically overlooked quality of being sexy, a b-movie starlet, and a decent actor. While it is not the best film, she goes a long way towards making Invasion of the Bee Girls fun.

Thanks to Kindertrauma for this awesome find. Anitra as "Reagan" in a spoof of The Exorcist, called The Eggs-O-Cist! For you youngins, The Price is Right used to do "Flaky Flicks" where they would spoof a film during the Showcase Showdown. This one is oddly creepy, and you can kind of feel that the audience is not into it. I think it is awesome.











3 comments:

The Vicar of VHS said...

While I was not a big fan of BEE GIRLS, I couldn't agree more about Anitra Ford sharing that certain something with the other b-movie queens you mention. She didn't get the material or opportunities that Fenech and Neri got, but if she had, I think she'd have knocked it out of the park.

And MESSIAH OF EVIL is one of my favorites of all time. You've seen that one, right? All around excellence, and Ford is a huge part of that.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I think Bee Girls was an oddity, as it sort of felt like a blaxploitation flik, oddly with not a single black person in it. I can't explain it... Well, maybe. It had a kind of '70s cop show feel and I think they got a lot of their swagger from blaxploitation. I could be entirely wrong.

I have not seen Messiah of Evil, but it does look like it is on the archive.org site here. I have not been there yet, but I am assuming it is safe (being in IT I should know better than to assume :-)

Cliff said...

She's always been one of my favorites too:

http://bmoviebabes.blogspot.com/2015/10/50-anitra-ford.html

Post a Comment