Saturday, March 12, 2011

Podcasts I Listen To

Just a quick shout out for some podcasts I like. If you are into that sort of thing, these are well worth your time. The links I have included will take you to the site describing how to subscribe.


The Moth: Awesome podcast of stories by comedians and authors, as well as general people with a talent. Not too time consuming, episodes tend to run fifteen to twenty minutes and come out weekly. The most recent episode has a story from modern-noir author Walter Mosley (Devil in a Blue Dress). The stories range from funny to heart-wrenching, and are always interesting.


This American Life: An Public Radio classic, the podcast makes the current episode available, and they stay up for the week. You can listen to past episodes on the site. For my money, this is the best show Public Radio puts on and is always worth listening to.


WTF?: Marc Maron's comedy podcast features interviews with comedians and comedy writers, some very well know, some you may not have heard of. The show is funny and insightful, and often informative. The episode with seminal Yippie Paul Kresner was very informative about the '50s and '60s counter-culture movement, and he talks about dropping acid with Groucho Marx. How often do you hear about something like that?


Selected Duets for Flute Podcast: This is an odd one, to be sure, but I think an awesome idea. Flautist David Summer goes through the book Selected Duets for Flute Volume 1 (H.Voxman, ed.) and plays both parts. A student who has the book can listen along and see how the music sounds, provided they have the book. I know it is not for everyone, but I think this is a fantastic idea.

Coverville: This is an always interesting podcast. Each episode has a theme and looks at popular songs or artists and cover versions of the music. You'll hear a lot of bands that you may not have heard of, and typically covers that are not so well known. Brian Ibbott hosts, and has done over 750 episodes. It is a highly professional podcast and interesting even when you don't find the theme thrilling.

10 comments:

Gore-Gore Girl said...

This American Life is easily the best podcast/radio show out there. But I can't get behind WTF cos it beat out Movies About Girls in the podcast awards. ;)

I've not heard of The Moth -- sounds like my kinda thing. I'm always looking for podcasts to listen to, and spend a lot of time listening to free audiobooks from librivox.org. Great site.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I will have to check that out. I do like movies about girls. :-)

I have heard some awesome stuff on The Moth. Particularly one with author/journalist Malcolm Gladwell talking about his first job at a newspaper where he and a co-worker had a contest to see which could get the most bullshit stories into the science section. :-)

Gore-Gore Girl said...

I will subscribe post-haste! Hope you enjoy MAG.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I want to get into MAG, but can't figure out how to get it without iTunes. I loathe iTunes, unfortunately. I Tweeted at them about an RSS feed, and hope to hear back. The site certainly looks like it covers some awesome stuff.

Gore-Gore Girl said...

Yeah, it's fun, and expertly put together (I can't take any credit for that -- I just show up). You can listen live on loudcaster, too, if you are the kind of person who isn't doing anything on Saturday nights.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I started listening to a download version today. I did not realize you were one it :-)

4.5 hours... I did not make it to the movie yet. The BlackBerry stops playing music after 45min if I am not using it, then it starts back at the beginning.

Since you all were discussing Gallagher, you should listen the the WTF interview with him. He has really lost it. Quite weird. Here

Gore-Gore Girl said...

Ha, yeah, I'm on it. I don't do any production stuff though -- that's all Ken and Stacey, who are amazing people. And yeah, they're looong episodes. One show was 8 hours. Believe it! We're a dedicated bunch. You have a podcast, right? You have all kinds of shit going on, actually. Bravo. I will be subscribing. I already subscribed to all The Moth episodes -- I'll find some housework to do in order to listen.

Hope you manage to get through a whole MAG episode one of these days. I recommend the Roller Boogie episode (our most downloaded), and the Breakfastcast, if you're in the mood for nostalgia. :) Our annual Dirty Motherfuckers Party, devoted to all things Bat Pussy, is coming up too. If you don't know what Bat Pussy is, go find it and watch it post haste!

Oh, and I will pass along the interview link. It'll probably end up being a WTF-bashing fiasco though. ;)

Gore-Gore Girl said...

I subscribed! I'm excited to see Masoch mentioned in the summary -- sounds like my kind of podcast.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Hah :-) Maron could use a little bashing. It would feed his insecurities nicely. BTW, his Ira Glass interview is also a good one.

Bat Pussy... I shall investigate :-)

My podcast is just a toy for now. I am trying to find something to talk about for this week. I have an idea, but would actually have to put effort into it.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I finished the Vampire Lovers episode. Lots of fun. Will be giving you all a shout out Saturday.

Post a Comment