Thursday, April 21, 2011

xxxHolic (CLAMP, 2006)

I discovered xxxHolic when I worked at a bookstore during the very lean 2002 to 2005 years. It was a mystical manga about Kimihiro Watanuki, a high school boy who can see, and is plagued by, spirits. He discovers the shop of Yuko Ichihara, a witch who promises she can release him from the spirits if he becomes her slave as repayment. The title refers to addiction in its more OCD forms; lying, careerism, that sort of thing. In 2006 it became an anime series and twenty-four episodes are available on Netflix streaming and available from FUNimation on Youtube and Hulu.

The anime is remarkably good. I have read the manga that covers the same period as the series thus far, but the wife has not and still enjoys it. They have, fortunately, completely avoided the need to know the manga to enjoy the anime. This is a common failing. As a matter of fact, I think the anime is superior story-wise. It is a more cohesive tale that seems to be moving to a point of closure that I do not remember from the manga. The stories are funny, and a bit scary. The story arc is not too important, but present. All we do know is that there is something more for Watanuki, and Yuko knows it. She just is not saying.

At roughly twenty-five minutes, the episodes are interesting and fun. Easily some of the better anime. I prefer it to Cowboy Bebop, which is an awesome show. This could be a good choice for non-anime enthusiasts. The only anime the wife watches is Miyazaki films, but she'll watch several episodes of xxxHolic in a sitting. Watch episode one below.

7 comments:

Tim Brannan said...

Better than Cowboy Bebop? I'll have to check it out then!

Darius Whiteplume said...

I don't know that it is better, but I enjoy it more. I do like that Bebop is (in my limited viewing) more episodic, like Star Trek, in that you can watch a single episode and not feel lost. Plus, there is no better theme song than "Tank!" except maybe the theme to Johnny Quest ;-)

Definitely give it a try though, especially since it is so widely available.

Lazarus Lupin said...

It's a fun show, i won't say it's better than Bebop. I will say there is also an XXXholic movie that is just BEAUTIFULLY animated. Enjoy!!

Lazarus lupin
http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/
art and review

Lisa said...

You prefer it to Cowboy Bebop?
Well, that's a statement, going to check it out soon (:

Darius Whiteplume said...

@LL - Agreed, but I tend to like it more. I have the DVD of the movie in my queue, so likely in the next few weeks.

@Lisa - It is a neat show.

BellaBunnell said...

I adore xxxHolic! The movie is in my queue. Any idea when/if season 2 will be available?

Darius Whiteplume said...

I have not heard about S2, but I don't really follow the anime news. Glad you stopped by :-)

Post a Comment