Monday, May 23, 2011

Fan-Boy Icon #43 - Michael Keaton

Say what you will, out of all the '80s and '90s Batmen, Michael Keaton was the best. He was not a great Bruce Wayne, but as Batman, despite his height, he rocked. Batman is all attitude, and Keaton pull is off nicely. You might also note that the two Batman films he appeared in were the only ones worth watching.

Then of course there is the pop culture staple Beetlejuice, which allowed Keaton to be manic and obnoxious in a manner typically reserved for Robin Williams, but he was able to display a kind of menace that I don't think Williams is capable of. Even though it is a fairly cutesy movie, we know that Beetlejuice is trouble and we know it because of the malevolence Keaton brings to the role.

Other great choices are his two film role as Ray Nicolette in Jackie Brown and Out of Sight. Clean and Sober puts him in rehab, and is an early dramatic role. Johnny Dangerously is a great bit of farce and an awesomely good film. The last I'll mention is The Dream Team, which has a bit of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest about it, making Keaton an inmate a a sanitarium who wants to get out and learns to love his fellow crazies.

4 comments:

Jay Amabile said...

Adam West and Michael Keaton will always be Batman to me. Keaton is one of my favorite actors. It sucks that he doesn't do stuff like Mr. Mom anymore and Night Shift. He was awesome. And Beetlejuice also!

Darius Whiteplume said...

I do like the new guy, but Keaton is my man. He'd be a better Clark Kent than Bruce Wayne. He just doesn't have the billionaire playboy thing going. I do love "Night Shift", and "Mr. Mom" was a lot of fun. "Gung-Ho" as well. He's done a ton of awesome work.

T. Roger Thomas said...

Keaton was quoted as saying that he intentionally didn't read any of the Batman comics before taking on the role. I'm not a fan.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I have never read much Batman. The only thing I can remember is The Dark Knight Returns - I'm more of a tv/movie guy.

Post a Comment