Could Justin Timberlake be the male version of Cher?
That is not a dig at his sexuality or questioning his masculinity, but there are some similarities.
- Both are known for variety shows. Cher, The Sonny & Cher Show and Timberlake for The Mickey Mouse Club and Saturday Night Live.
- Famous breakup with musical partners. Cher from Sonny, Timberlake from N'Sync.
- Famous romantic breakup, Cher had Sonny and Gregg Allman among others, Timberlake had Brittney Spears and Cameron Diaz.
- Highly scrutinized romantic relationship with an atypically aged partner, Cher had several, Timberlake had Cameron Diaz.
- Critical acclaim for films, Cher was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for Silkwood and won Best Actress for Moonstruck, Timberlake has received critical acclaim notably for Alpha Dog and The Social Network.
- Both have released highly popular dance songs that receive play long after their release.
To truly be the male Cher, some things would have to happen.
- He would have to be mononymous. That is easy enough. He is known as "JT" - though less so these days. Turn that around and I'll let it count.
- In twenty years he'll have to put out a huge song. A possibility.
- He'd have to become a gay icon. This is the real problem, though not impossible. Most gay icons are female. The closest is likely Freddie Mercury, but really the big list is Cher, Streisand, Garland, Crawford. It would be hard to do.