Friday, June 10, 2011

Nerd Girl of Note #116 - Nicki Minaj (@nickiminaj)

I'll be honest with you. Wednesday morning of this week if you asked me who Nicki Minaj was I'd likely have said, "isn't she that chick who looks like Lady Gaga and Lil Kim had a baby?" Well, that would not be giving her much credit. Wednesday and Thursday of this week had me scouring Tumblr for her, and once I found her clips from Saturday Night Live (a show I never watch) I was hooked. Add her Wonder Woman cosplay coupled with a mixtape titled "Beam Me Up, Scotty" and you've got a Nerd Girl of Note.



For most of us, Minaj is a new thing. Her first album, "Pink Friday" came out November 2010, but before that she had been making a name for herself with her "mixtapes" and appearances in Complex magazine. Growing up she went to Manhattan's LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts, specializing in music and drama, and played the clarinet.

I am going to assume she has a great sense of humor, not only for her skilled work on the SNL skits I have seen, but also for being comfortable with silliness. She is rather known for her backside, and rather than hide that, she enhances it; for example the drag queen butt padding here.



Now, I'll also admit that I am more into her as a personality than as a musician. The only song I am familiar with is "Super Bass" which I like. I do enjoy a good personality; much like Rob Zombie, I don't love everything they do, but hope they keep doing it.





























2 comments:

el tecolote vengador said...

I wanted to told you a little story about Nicki, Once like 3 years ago, I got into a webcams chat website and I met supposedly the "real" Nicki on webchat, I started to talk to this black chick with awesome clothes,she never show her face only her torso she had a great colorful jacket, I told her wow your jacket is cool, and she said well I'm a singer I'm Nicki Minaj you can check my myspace. In other things she told that she were in the same school with Rihanna (I don't even know If that is true), So I asked her If Rihanna was a cool person, she respond me that she was a really nice person. I told her wow! this is so cool! I ask her Can I have a cd? she told me yeah sure! you can ask me via myspace and I will send it to you.

The next day I ask for that cd in myspace but she never send it to me. I don't know even today If that chic was the "real" Nicki Minaj, I hope she was, now that she is famous make me happy to say I met Nicki Minaj when almost nobody know about her.

Anonymous said...

Oh Nicki..

Post a Comment