Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Hypocritical and Insensitive?

Long time readers may know that I am not the biggest Katy Perry fan. If this was an audio blog you would notice that I always mispronounce her name. However, I will admit she is a bonafide pop star, and deserves it. Her songs are catchy and they do not all sound the same. Also, while this has no bearing on her musical ability, she has a rockin' bod, and while I am used to hating the beautiful people I often wish she'd shut up and not let her personality get in the way (that goes for you too, Brooke Hogan).

My latest issue with Ms. Whip Cream Tits is her song "Last Friday Night (TGIF)" which glorifies intoxication and risky sexual behavior. Now, I am against neither, but the song goes to my belief that she is both a hypocrite and an insensitive person.





The problem is that she is married to a drug and sex addict, Russell Brand. Now, while Brand is apparently in recovery, or however that is expressed (clean and sober?), it seems rather tasteless to put out such a song which flies in the face of your spouse's recovery. This song is not Elvis Costello's "Clubland" or even Lady Gaga's "Just Dance" — both of which have a mocking element to hooligan/drunk culture (Costello's song more so).

Frankly, if anyone else had done this song I would like it. I thought originally it was someone ripping of Ke$ha's persona and Perry's musical style. I like that Rebecca Black is in the video, as it is similar to her song in many ways. The take on Eighties nerd-gone-cool movies is appealing, even if the nerd look is a bit heavy handed.

Maybe it is just me? Maybe I should just shut up and listen, and care less what is going on with an artist? That used to be easy. Do I care if Elvis Presley or Britney Spears mean every word they say? Not really, but they were less likely to be vocal about their opinions. I don't care what opinion you express, just be consistent. Also, this song was obviously going to be a hit. Recording a song that should be highly offensive to your spouse just to sell records is just the kind of behavior I dislike in an artist. If the song had a satirical edge to it I would not have an issue.

I'll shut up now. Carry on with what you were doing. Feel free to yell at me in the comments.

PS: The video does actually rock.

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Nah, it's not just you.
Out of every big popstar out there right now, she bothers me the most and I usually do not care whether they sing about getting wasted or fucking with whatever/whomever. Go for it.
But you worded it really kindly that she is a hypocrite.
If she would step off from her 'I'm a good Christian girl' blah blah I wouldn't care.
I am also waiting for the next trans/-homophobic slur of hers. Well... it will probably happen soon.
PLUS I automatically become suspicious when someone is 'friends' with that Perez Hilton guy. He's so vile.

I always liked Russel and the fact that he is with her really bugs me, because he seems to be a very honest man. They will probably both regret their decision to have married, if not already doing so. /rant

ayeM8y said...

I agree with everything you said. I try hard but I just don't like her. I think it's that she (in my opinion) was originally lumped in with the whiny naa naa singers who's songs use nursery rhyme as the base of lyrical content. Gwen Stefanie started it and Ke$ha has carried it on as well as most girl pop singers in between. I'll probably start to like her the second I post this...but I never listen to the radio anymore.

Vulnavia Morbius said...

Katy Perry...blech. What an odious person.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Lisa - I wouldn't care what she says, even when it is nasty to people or groups, if her music was not so contradictory. I am sure drunken threesomes are awesome, but don't climb down off your cross and say they are.

@ayeM8y - Gwen I like, Ke$ha I am indifferent about. I do actually like some of Perry's music, but she has what I like to call the "bitch fog" around her.

@Dr. M - odious is an awesome word which I do not use often enough :-)

Darius Whiteplume said...

PS @ Lisa - How can anyone that uncomfortable with gay people be friends with Perez Hilton anyway?

kal said...

When I see one of Katy's videos I can't look away so I try not to get trapped by them. I do wish she would just perform because she is the real deal when she does. It's pop but it's GOOD pop. I wish she wouldn't take herself so seriously.

Darius Whiteplume said...

She does have "it" and I do hate to say "shut up and sing" but a closed mouth gathers no feet. Chances are I like Ke$ha because I have never once heard her speak.

Nathan said...

I think her hypocrisy might be her main problem, because she does have a certain amount of appeal, but she just says so many dumb things. As for her songs, they're catchy, but she's not a very good singer. And why is she always trying to sing way out of her range?

Lisa K. said...

I'm a bit late with this...
I think her friendship with Perez Hilton is another contradiction then. Ay!
And I will use your quote "I am sure drunken threesomes are awesome, but don't climb down off your cross and say they are" from now on everytime someone asks me about Misses Perry.

Lisa K. said...

... and why can't blogger finally fix their already long existing comment problem?
When people change their pictures, they should also automatically change in the 'retro comments'. I feel a bit schizophrenic.
I blame Perry.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@LK - I think I see your new Av. B&W, hands to face. Both are the same, anyway.

She and Perez might be perfectly matched. He's a "journalist" who made a name for himself by drawing dicks on people. They are like peas and carrots I bet.

Awesome, I love being quoted ;-)

Post a Comment