Friday, July 15, 2011

Nerd Girl of Note #121 - Pearl Future (@PearlFuture)

Old school 8-bit sound, early hip hop, and collaboration with Nicki Minaj that takes some shots at Willow Smith... I gotta tell you, Pearl seems pretty awesome.

I know a few of her songs; mostly the ones available at Amazon.  "Lookin' At Me" (video below) features Nicki Minaj who does Willow Smith's "I Whip My Hair Back and Forth" rap on it. "It's Bad" does a call back to Rick James' "Super Freak" and "Shop Song" is a bit of a consumerism/bling-bling satire (perhaps).

Pearl has a great voice, and a cool throwback sound that has some '80s feel and a bit of video game music vibe to it. She's worth looking into, music fans.

2 comments:

T. Roger Thomas said...

"Looking at Me" is upbeat, cheerful and sounds like it will appeal to legions of young girls. I feel like I have to dislike it just based on general principals.

el tecolote vengador said...

Thanks dude another good discovery!

Post a Comment