Friday, July 29, 2011

Nerd Girl of Note #123: Rita Moreno

Rita Moreno has, frankly, so many things we could discuss that I find it hard to even begin. She portrayed Anita in West Side Story on the screen, winning the Academy Award and Golden Globe for "Best Supporting Actress" and Tony Award for "Best Featured Actress in a Play" for The Ritz. She has a Grammy Award for The Electric Company Album (1972), and two Emmy awards. She performed at Bill Clinton's inauguration, and in 2004 was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by George W. Bush. You can find much more on her Wikipedia entry.

Younger viewers may know Moreno from Oz where she played Sister Pete, the former nun and prison psychologist. Currently she plays Fran Drescher's mother on the TV Land sitcom "Happily Divorced."






Singing "Fever" on The Muppet Show

Rita and Morgan Freeman from The Electric Company

6 comments:

The Vicar of VHS said...

NOT being a "younger viewer," I knew Moreno growing up from watching ELECTRIC COMPANY on PBS, where she was funny and energetic. I had no idea how amazingly hot she had been/was until later in life. It was a revelation, like finding out that Lucille Ball and Angela Lansbury were total babes back in the day. But Moreno...rowr.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I just barely remember The Electric Company. Mostly Easy Reader. RM was a hottie. Still is, I imagine, considering her age.

Mitchell Craig said...

Rita also had a recurring role (if memory serves) on The Rockford Files with James Garner. She also appeared with Garner in Marlowe, where she had a truly hot striptease number which also set up the film's climax.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I just barely remember The Rockford files. I think he drove a Camaro, and that is about it. :-)

Mireya Yvonne Trevino said...

I love her to death and she is a great Anita. I initially watched West Side Story at the recommendation of one of my directors. My director made a comment about how she could see me one day playing Anita. So because of that I saw WSS and now Anita is my dream role.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I have not seen WSS yet. I really should, but musicals are not my thing. Of course if you are going to watch one it may as well be the one considered to the the best, eh?

Hope you get the part someday, and thanks for stopping by! :-)

Post a Comment