Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I Want to be a Creepy Uncle, but in a Good Way

So, we had a family gathering at my folks' house this weekend. One sister was in town from DC, and the other was there with husband and kids in tow. My nieces are seven and four, and finally becoming interesting after years of being scared to death of me. Kids...

Anyway, I discovered that the four year old loves zombies. OK, I am thinking, someone is watching Scooby-Doo. Does she really like zombies, or is this a put on? So, I showed her a game on my iPad, Zombie Dice from Steve Jackson Games.

The link above takes you to my Zombie Dice review.
She stared at it in fascination. The zombie face in the game moves a bit and talks. I looked back at her and asked, "do you like zombies?" Still staring, I received a silent nod of the head. "Do you watch Scooby-Doo?" Another nod.

Well, then I find out that she scares her sister by making her zombie face. I think it is my sworn duty to encourage, nay expand upon this trait. Here is idea number one...

A plush toy from the game Plants vs Zombies. Approximately 10".

I have two uncles, one a fairly smart douche bag, the other a very smart nerd. I was not around either too much, but both shaped the way I look at things. Grown ups tend to do that to kids. I think it would be awesome for her to know that she likes this sort of thing at a young age, and have an adult that does not think it is silly. Of course, one must weigh the parental point-of-view in such decisions. My sister already knows I am weird, but how weird is she willing to let me make her kid? The road to perdition can be a hard one, but a fun journey all the same.

Any thoughts from you beautiful people? I am torn between asking my sister if getting the kid a zombie toy is acceptable and just mailing her one. If there is one thing a zombie loving kid loves more than zombies, it is getting a zombie in the mail (or at least, that is my hope). Discuss, if you like :-)

6 comments:

iasa said...

First off, yay for Scooby-Doo! It seems your sister already knows of the younger niece's love of zombies, so I would think sending a surprise would probably be alright her, (although I would send something to the 7 year old as well.)

The only similar experience I have is we are the house my sons' friends come when they want a vampire, zombie, superhero, D&D, WoW and other geek fun fix. I've never had any issues with the other parents even though I know most of them find those types of past times silly and useless.

Darius Whiteplume said...

:-) I don't quite know what the other one likes... She is a little harder to pin down. Hello Kitty stuff, maybe?

A fav of mine as a kid was The Groovy Ghoulies. Very silly scary.

kal said...

I agree with checking with the mom first so that your generosity doesn't quickly morph into a nightmare. You are a good uncle to zone into what that kid was into. You don't know how much it means to a kid to find an adult who 'understands' why zombies are cool. Next year carboard rocket ships may be all the rage but now is your chance to strike while the iron is hot and make your move. They don't stay young forever you know. Just be thankful you can see your nieces and nephews. My sister married a guy from Australia and had two kids. With such technology as SKYPE I and my Mother should be talking with them every week but my sister can't be bothered with things like that - she moved half a world away just so that I could have NO contact with the kids. And the days and years click by. I never get a thank you card or even a phonecall (and I pick out GREAT gifts). Sorry, I didn't mean to make this all about me.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@kal - it is hard to keep in touch with people when you don't have some shared interest (I think that's what I mean). I rarely talk to my sisters except when they come to my parents' house. If the just read my blog maybe we'd have more I'm common? :-)

The wb is just weird that way. I don't talk to a single person from my past, but talk weekly at least to people I have never met in person, save two that I did get to meet in NYC. then again, I'm a typer, not a talker.

I hate when you get great gifts and the parents never mention it. I expect kids to not make a big deal, as they are narcisists by nature, but parents should understand when thought and effort go into a gift. Luckily my sister is good about saying "Lizzie loves that ukelele," and such.

T. Roger Thomas said...

A PvZ plush toy! Awesome!

Darius Whiteplume said...

They have such e beautiful mixture of cute and creepy.

Post a Comment