Friday, September 2, 2011

Nerd Girl of Note #128: Natalie Morales (@nataliemorales)

The world can be a fascinating place when you are a nerd who lives in the past, because occasionally the present slaps you around and screams "wake up!" This happened to me recently while watching the Doctor Who specials running on BBC America in the VH1 "lets have people talk about the show for people who don't watch it" style. Lots of people we expect to be Whovians were involved, and then I saw a cute little nerd that many of you already knew as Natalie Morales. "Who is this woman, and why don't I already know about her?" my brain shouted for a moment, and then Chris Hardwick was back on screen and I dozed off (totally kidding).

So, once upon a 2008, there was a little show called The Middleman based on the comic book by Javier Grillo-Marxuach and Les McClaine. It appeared on ABC Family, and perhaps due to that fact came in well under my radar. Likely I am not alone, as despite some serious fandom the show only survived one season (which reminds me, watch State of Georgia, please. A world without Raven Symone is not one I want to live in).

After The Middleman, Morales appeared in the USA Network show White Collar as Special Agent Lauren Cruz in season one, and joined the cast of Parks & Recreation in 2010. She also did an episode of the tenuously perched The Cape on NBC. She has two films coming up, Freeloaders and Six Month Rule (both in post production as of this writing), as well as what appears to be a recurring role on the upcoming Chelsea Handler vehicle, Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea.

So, keep an eye out for Ms. Morales. I hope we see more of her. She's cute, funny, and any star who lists their website as their Tumblr is a-ok in my book.












3 comments:

Cap'n Carrot said...

Not really sure why her character was written off in White Collar (other than to bring back Marsha Thomason, but you'd think there would be room for two sultry FBI Agents).

mad photog said...

The Middleman was some of the best TV I've seen in a long time. Part of the problem was that you had to pay attention! Somewhat like The Naked Gun TV show. Of course, being on ABC Family didn't help. Anyway, she was awesome.

Gus

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Cap - I have not watched White Collar yet. It falls to close to my "no voluntary cop shows" rule. If it is streaming on Netflix I may give it a try now.

@MP - I have the series coming on DVD. ABC Family is such a weird network. I'm not really sure what ABC/Disney is up to there.

Post a Comment