Thursday, September 8, 2011

Vampires Suck (Friedberg/Seltzer, 2010)

I am a sucker for spoofs. I like Airplane! and all the Scary Movie films. I don't often go out of my way to see them, but it has been known to happen. I wanted to see Vampires Suck primarily for the inclusion of the almost overly sexy and highly funny Anneliese van der Pol (That's So Raven).

Primarily this is a spoof of the Twilight series, with occasional forays into other films. What sold me early on was a tiny little reference to Tommy Wiseau's The Room and a similarly tiny shout out to Sixteen Candles. From what I can tell it sticks to the Twilight story fairly well. I read the first book and saw the first film only. It is not quite as critical as the title suggests, and tries to be for both the lovers and the haters of the series.

The bad: It can get awfully cartoony at times. Deidrich Bader (The Drew Carey Show, Office Space, Batman: the Brave and the Bold) is funny, but pretty much plays every dad in every spoof ever made out of a teen film. I like the guy, but it is really just Randy Quaid from Not Another Teen Movie all over again. Also, there are a few really, really stupid scenes that could have been lost, or should have been rewritten (I'm looking at you, David DeLuise).

The good: They really got the feel of the films down. Jenn Proske does a great job of mimicking Kristen Stewart. Matt Lanter (voices Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars: the Clone Wars) is "Edward Sullen" and tries less to be a Robert Pattison spoof other than in looks. The overall look is very like the first Twilight film, and changing the name of the town from "Forks" to "Sporks" is a great bit of understated humor, even though in hindsight it seems the obvious choice. There is some parody emo music by The Magicwandos that is not only great satire, but also really good music, particularly the song "My Panties."

So, if you have been on the fence about this one but like some good guffaw-type humor you should give it a try. Appears to be DVD only from Netflix for now.

2 comments:

Lisa K. said...

Hm, I thought this spoof was extremely bad. But to be fair I have to say that I am not a big fan of spoofs (or maybe that kind of humour) anyways .
BUT yes, the acting & music was well done.

By the way, there is a film called 'Vampire Boys' ... it's supposed to be *Twilight for gays*, so I am not sure whether you want to take a look at it, but I think it would be worth it, because it's unintentionally very funny.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Parodies are definitely not for everyone. Some of them I really don't get as I don't see a ton of current films. I'll have to take a look at Vampire Boys. I like camp and am not scared of getting any gay on me. :-)

Post a Comment