Friday, October 7, 2011

October Horror Movie Challenge Day 6

Addams Family Values (Barry Sonnenfeld, 1993)

I was frankly a little surprised at how this movie did not stack up to my memory of it. I love the first movie, and assumed I loved the second, but it seemed a little flat. It has good staying power because it does have so many quotable lines, but ultimately it felt like a parody of the first film.

I still like it, mind. There are some great ideas there between the Summer Camp and Fester's Marriage angles, but there just seems to be far too much going on. Also, the most developed characters are Fester's wife, Debbie Jellinsky (the delicious Joan Cusak) and Wednesday's love interest, Joel Glicker (David Krumholtz, recently of The Playboy Club). To me, Gomez and Morticia should not take a back seat to anyone, and they definitely do here. Also, there is a baby. I don't like babies in movies (or real life for that matter).

3 comments:

Caffeinated Joe said...

The baby was an odd addition. It is okay, but not as awesome as the first.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Babies are never a wise choice. Never ;-)

Daskaea said...

I still love this movie. The summer camp scenes are beyond hilarious. And of course there's the famous line from Morticia to Debbie: You have enslaved him. You have placed Fester under some strange sexual spell. I respect that. But please, may we see him?
Also, I believe Pubert was in the original series too. I love his wee stache. *^_^*

Post a Comment