Monday, December 26, 2011

Fan-Boy Icons #58: Duran Duran

When you are kid in the '80s with MTV it was hard to get away from Duran Duran. Not that you wanted to, necessarily. Sure, I was in the transition from hair metal to harder metal at the time, but Duran Duran had quite an appeal. For one thing, despite being pop, their music is quite interesting and the musicianship is apparent. Also while they have a boy-band vibe as far as looks go, their music is not they typical saccharin one associates with New Kids on the Block and their progeny. They even spawned two other pretty awesome bands. Power Station with John Taylor and Andy Taylor (bass and guitar respectively) fronted by Robert Palmer and with Tony Thompson on drums. Around the same time singer Simon LeBon, keyboardist Nick Rhodes, and drummer Roger Taylor

One thing I like about Duran Duran is that there is a bit of nerdliness to them. First, "Duran Duran" is a character from the comic book and film Barbarella, and their lyrics are not of the typical "hey girl I love you" variety so common of pop music. They take some chances with lyrics and video images. "Girl on Film" was a particularly daring, and rather pervy, video. An interesting thing was that they were not exactly trying to get attention with it, as it was their third single. The video below is the uncut version, so be warned there are boobies and thongs.


Duran Duran - Girls On Film [Uncensored] by hushhush112

Possibly their best song, and my particular favorite, is "Rio." To me it is quite an amazing song and the lyrics and music are very evocative of the Mexican Riviera, and is just beautifully complicated without over-reaching.


Duran Duran - Rio by EMI_Music

5 comments:

Jeffry Willis said...

Duran Duran was my very favorite band for the first half of my life and still rank quite high in my favorites. They've always had a sci-fi theme about them, like you said, even the name. AND they're one of the few bands that has a James Bond theme! A great one, at that.

On a different note (pun intended) the band has integrity (especially Simon, who is still married to his sweetheart he hooked up with in the early 80s! that is rather unheard of in the celebrity world). They've never lost their sound, either.

Great post!

Darius Whiteplume said...

Glad you liked it Jeffry! I was going to do more text, but the holidays (and Heroes of Neverwinter) have gotten the best of me. One thing I enjoy about LeBon is how he's not afraid to sound a bit goofy. At times he takes on a real Lounge Singer sound, but it is very effective, and certainly makes him stand out.

I saw The Powerstation live when I was in high school. Michael Des Barres was singing for them, and Tony Thompson was not with them, but still pretty awesome as I remember it. I really liked Arcadia a lot at the time, and Election Day is still a favorite song from the period.

Anonymous said...

Nice to see someone who understands what Duran is all about. Check out their latest album All You Need Is Now.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Anon, I will have to give it a listen. I have been on their "Greatest" collection fairly non-stop for the past few weeks. :-)

Usemeplz said...

As for me "All You Need Is Now" is very good album with several amazing compositions. Duran Duran is one of my favourite bands.

Post a Comment