Friday, January 6, 2012

Nerd Girl of Note #138: Nana Visitor

For years I have avoided Star Trek: Deep Space 9. It was originally on the air when I was not a Star Trek fan, and it (along with The Next Generation) seemed to carry the stain of my temporal dislike for Star Trek to the point of excess. I used to call ST:DS9 "Space Mall" as it felt like, well, a space mall. After some urging from Rick Bman and Rainer Wolfcastle I decided to make it my New Year's resolution to give my final Star Trek frontier a go. I am ready to admit I am enjoying it, in no small part thanks to Nana Visitor, aka colonel/commander Kira Nerys. [more at Memory Alpha]

Born Nana Tucker, she changed her name to "Nana Visitor" after some screen credits. Aside from ST:DS9 she has appeared in Torchwood, as Jason's mother in the Friday the 13th remake, the rebooted Battlestar Galactica, Dark Angel, The Outer Limits, and the television film adaptation of The Spirit (1987). She has also done voice work for Family Guy. [more at the IMDb] Visitor is also no stranger to Broadway, as well as numerous television shows.






Torchwood







4 comments:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

DS9 is my favorite of all the Star Trek series. Major Kira's story arc is among the most interesting of the lives we follow on that space station.

Rick Bman said...

Yeah, I noticed from your tumblr that you may have had a bit of the hots for Major Kira. Just wait until you meet mirror universe Kira. I'm not a huge fan of the mirror universe episodes but mirror Kira is a pretty interesting character.

Kira herself is a really great character. Glad you are enjoying the show.

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Kal - I am starting to get into it. It is oddly current with the Starfleet occupation/protection of Bajor. I do hate that every time I watch it I make one character say "I can't keep up with these Cardasians!"

@Rick - I think the main reason for Mirror Universe episodes is to put the women in the sluttiest outfits they can find. It is like Star Trek Halloween! :-D

T. Roger Thomas said...

She's a cutie.

Post a Comment