Thursday, February 23, 2012

Fantasy Defense

Fantasy Defense, aka Fantasy Defenders, is a tower defense styled game pitting your forces against waves of enemy monsters. It has an old style look to it similar to early Zelda games mixed with anime-style stills of the player's heroes and units. There is a freemium edition for the iPad, and it appears to be available for other mobile devices.

The goal in Fantasy Defense is to protect your gate from the enemy gate(s). A road leads to your gate, and may have intersections or multiple paths. So far I have seen no more than two enemy gates, though the preview images of locked stages are hard to interpret. You buy units with gold and heroes with mana, both of which are gained from slain enemies. There are also items on the board that will give you gold or mana. Thus far none provide both.

These are the bosses, btw.
You have three basic types of units; warriors, archers, and wizards. Each type can be upgraded to superior units. The warrior can become a knight, then a warlord. The archer can become a "splatter" and then a "sky arrow." Wizards can become sorceresses and then "blasters." Each unit type also has specialty units; warrior/brandisher, archer/holy eye, wizard/ice mage. These specialty units have special attack results and the starting cost is roughly twice that of a standard unit. Units can also be upgraded in level... there is quite a lot of combinations, and since different enemies are susceptible to different attack forms, you have to decide what units to use when, and how many.



It is a fun game, and highly addictive. I play it far too much, and a big part of why the posting has been so thin of late (that and that I hate my computer but cannot blog on the iPad). So, look for it on your device of choice. Give it a whirl.

8 comments:

Jeff Moore said...

I understand how the iPad can take over leaving a computer collecting dust. It's happened to me too. There is a blogger app for the iPad but I haven't really played with it yet. Have you tried it?

Darius Whiteplume said...

I have not tried the Blogger app. Last I heard there was one for the iPhone but never heard there was one for the iPad. I have a BT keyboard, and the standard Create Post page will let me work in HTML, which is no problem. The problem is that Safari will refresh the page killing your post. Also, if you try to edit a post it will be empty, but then on a regular computer will be available. I have not tried blogger in Opera, though when I went to the dashboard the page reported that the browser was unsupported. I'll have to look for the app next time I am online with the iPad. You would think that going to blogger.com on an iPad would give you the "hey, we have an iPad app" announce that sites like YouTube and Dailymotion have. But then, Blogger and Google are kind of stuck in mobile Limbo. :-)

jervaise brooke hamster said...

I want to bugger those 3 birds at the top of the page.

T. Roger Thomas said...

Tower defense games have sucked up way too much of my time.

Darius Whiteplume said...

;-)

Darius Whiteplume said...

Agreed. I am like Whitney Houston on a punchbowl full of crack with this game. (too soon?) I am currently stuck at the boss level of the fourth stage, and it is maddening!

Anonymous said...

It's really fun game. Finished it once in normal mode. Had problem though that I cannot upgrade units to higher form ie warrior to knight and then to warlords. Same thing happens to other units. Anyone please help?

Darius Whiteplume said...

That is weird, I never have any problems, I think it is 600gp from warrior to knight, then 1200gp from knight to warlord. Same for the other two classes.

Post a Comment