Thursday, June 7, 2012

Black Books (Dylan Moran, 2000)

At first I thought this would be a rather annoying "I hate people" show that would not keep my interest, and in fact after viewing the first episode it took em some time to get back to it. Then, I found it oddly entertaining.

Black Books is a BBC sitcom that takes place in the bookshop or Bernard Black (Dylan Moran, Shaun of the Dead), an inveterate drunk and general misanthrope who accidentally hires the good-natured Manny (Bill Bailey, Spaced) whilst in a drunken stupor and after Manny suffers a bizarre accident that prevents him from continuing his corporate lifestyle. Black's friend from the neighboring shop, Fran (Tamsin Grieg, Shaun of the Dead), forces Black to keep Manny around after he realizes his mistake.

The show is a fairly typically "Odd Couple" pairing with a bit of British-style absurdity thrown in, a la The Young Ones. Black is unlikeable, but in a more pathetic way than an evil way. Manny is generally more likeable, but it is plain that he can be a pain in the ass. Fran is a tad narcissistic, and tends to influence people under the guise of doing them a favor which often turns out to be as much, if not more-so, to her favor.

Currently, Netflix streams series one only though there appear to have been three series produced. As of quite recently, it appears that all three series are streaming on Netflix. If you like your comedy dark and at times sad, this is definitely up your alley.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Black Books was a Channel 4 production along with Father Ted and the like.

Jamie said...

cult UK favourite the full series boxset is only a few pounds in places takes pride of place on any shelf.

Dr. MVM said...

I felt the same way, I thought it was going to be a one joke comedy but it grew on me.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I shall be dipping in to S2 tonight, though it will be competing with the last few episodes of "Bob's Burgers" for priority.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Loved Ft. Ted. :-)

Darius Whiteplume said...

I am trying to keep my physical media to a minimum these days when I can :-)

Post a Comment