Friday, August 3, 2012

RPG Week, NGoN #147: Christy Marx (@christymarx)

Now, while the RPG posts this week have been predominantly of the pen-and-paper variety we cannot ignore the world of comic books and cartoons that inspire our RPG adventures, and one of the best people in that regard to look to is Christy Marx.

I first became "aware" of Christy Marx when I played the PC game she co-developed, Conquest of Camelot. In it, you play King Arthur in search of the grail. Like The Mists of Avalon, however, this is not a purely Christian telling of the tale. The pagan religions exist here, and must be understood for Arthur to complete his quest. It was a fun game and received a lot of critical raves.

Of course, what I did not realize until later, was that I had been reading her version of Red Sonja for some time already. The 1980s also had her comic Sisterhood of Steel from Marvel/Epic comics. She also wrote issues of Conan the Barbarian and Wendy Pini's Elfquest. On the television side of things, Marx wrote for the cartoons Jem, Conan the Adventurer, G.I. Joe, and Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future.

It appears Marx is returning (has returned?) to the world of comics with DCs relaunch of Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld. I don't follow comics, and frankly don't know how to tell if something has been release yet or not. Too confusing for me :-)

Check out her website for more information.









4 comments:

christymarx said...

Hi there. I did write some Red Sonja stories, but the issue you're showing isn't one of them. ;)

Christy Marx

Kal said...

I was the hugest Amethyst fan back in the day. I loved going into a comic store to get my weekly pull list from a time when there were no self contained stories like this. I was able to get in on the ground floor. Looking forward to the reboot after getting the collected first series.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Sorry, I just picked a favorite cover :-) I have really enjoyed your work. "Conquest" took up an awful lot of my free time :-D

Darius Whiteplume said...

I may have to check it out. I prefer stories that never say "See Detective Comics #486 and Superman #100 AND Flash #1" That is the crap that keeps me from being a comicbook fan.

Post a Comment