Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Sport/Fitness: Why I am not a Sports Fan

I do have some problems with professional sports, but that is not the main reason I am not a sports fan. I think it is mainly because I tend not to pick sides. I guess I am a "sports appreciator" more than anything.

I have always hard a hard time getting all "gung-ho" about anything. Even in my youth, if I liked a team (say, because they were the home team) I refused to argue over their merits. The Olympics make this a little more pronounced with me. I root for who I like at the moment, or root for neither directly. The first Sunday of the games I was watching the water polo match between Montenegro and the United States, and was hoping for the best for both teams. Later the beach volleyball match between Gallay/Zonta (Argentina) and Kessy/Ross (United States) was on, and I was pulling for Argentina as they seemed to be less douche-bag-like. And to be completely honest, in beach volleyball I am really pulling for the Chinese team of Zhang Xi and Xue Chen (right). Why? I do not know. I like them. That is all.

When I do decide I need to like a team, I pick the less popular ones. When in NYC, I decided I wanted a baseball cap. Everyone has a Yankees cap, so I got a Mets cap. I am not a Mets fan, but I am a New York fan. I decided if I must proclaim any New York sports team affiliations it will be with the less popular Mets/Jets/Nets/Islanders, which makes me a bit of a sports hipster, I guess.

So, I guess ultimately, I will never be a sports fan, as I don't care who wins or loses (typically), as sport really has no bearing on my life. I appreciate athleticism, and am often astonished by what people can accomplish. If forced to follow sports, it would be women's sports. This is in large part due to that lack of professional women's sports when compared to how we will pay men to play anything. Women tend to have two motivations, in my mind; love of the sport they play, and a chance to get a collegiate scholarship. Outside of that there is little post-collegiate motivation. There are few really wealthy female athletes outside of tennis and perhaps golf. You play field hockey because you love it, not because it will make you rich, and that adds to my appeal for your sport.

6 comments:

Nathan said...

I agree with some of that, although I'm also genuinely uninterested in watching sports. I do have some desire to root for the underdog, though, which is part of why I'm not keen on the Yankees either. Not to mention that they're the bourgeosie of baseball.

T. Roger Thomas said...

I like your take on athletics. I often find myself rooting for the underdog as well. I would add that watching elite athletes motivates me to push myself a little harder to eat right and work out more.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I like to see athletes who are capable of astonishing things. I will often root for an underdog, but most often will cheer for a fantastic maneuver, regardless of who performed it. That being said, however, fuck Michael Vick.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Agreed, though for me it walks the line of inspiring, and "why should I even try?" :-) I was lousy at sports as a kid because of poor vision. Once it was discovered I needed glasses, I was so fed up with failure that I had given up. I actually got into running because I would always get in fights with football players and the coach would make us run laps. My main antagonist was a lineman, so I ran circles around him ;-)

Alyssa Staheli said...

I have the same take on sports too! I thought I was just weird, but I'm glad to know that there are others with the same opinion. I was rooting for Chinese in the Beach Volleyball game too :D

Darius Whiteplume said...

@Alyssa - I rooted for the Koreans in the indoor version. :-)

Post a Comment