Monday, November 5, 2012

Fan-Boy Icon #66: Richard Lynch

If you are roughly my age and fan of tv and movies, you likely have not been able to avoid Richard Lynch. You don't want to, I am just saying he is one of those workhorse actors that was everywhere, particularly in the 1980s. If you needed a bad guy, Lynch was quite often your man. He was all over the dial where action-themed television shows were concerned, making appearances in Buck Roger in the 25th Century ("Vegas in Space"), Baretta, Police Woman, Streets of San Fransisco, The Bionic Woman, Battlestar Galactica, Starsky & Hutch, Charlie's Angels, Vega$, TJ Hooker, Manimal, The A-Team, The Fall Guy, Riptide... The list goes on [IMDb]. Then there were a lot of sword & sorcery and shoot-em-up films like The Sword and the Sorcerer, The Barbarians, Invasion USA, and horror films like Bad Dreams.

I think Lynch is one of those perfect guys for this column, because he is not someone we all tend to think about much, but is striking when we notice him; particularly if you were growing up in the '70s and '80s. Mr. Lynch died this summer at 72 years of age.

"Vegas in Space" episode of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
The Seven-Ups
Bad Dreams
Scanner Cop
The Sword and the Sorcerer

5 comments:

Caffeinated Joe said...

I do remember him well. And being creeped out by him. He had that vibe. He was on a couple of Murder, She Wrote episodes, as well.

Darius Whiteplume said...

I saw he was in a few of those. Looks like "The Seven-Ups" is on Netflix Streaming, so I need to check it out, once the wife is done with Downton Abbey. :-D

Caffeinated Joe said...

I might do that, as well.

Rip Jagger said...

My favorite Lynch baddie is his turn as the terrorist mastermind in Invasion U.S.A., an outlandish but entertaining flick.

I just saw The Seven-Ups for the first time last year and enjoyed it a lot. I need to catch it again soon.

Rip Off

Darius Whiteplume said...

I may give Invasion USA a try, though I am not much of a Chuck Norris fan. Hard for me to separate the politics sometimes. The Seven-Ups looks good, and anything with Roy Scheider is worth a watch.

Post a Comment