Monday, December 3, 2012

Mission Log: Looking Back at Star Trek @missionlogpod

I fall into that uncomfortable age where Star Trek was not on the air regularly, and when there was so much on television that watching a fifteen to twenty year old show was not appealing. Mix that with Star Wars, Flash Gordon, and Buck Rogers and you get a kid that does not care much for Star Trek. Fortunately, Star Trek is easily accessible to most of us now, from a viewing perspective, but is it accessible from an entertainment perspective? That is part of what hosts John Champion and Ken Ray of Mission Log: A Rodenberry Podcast hope to discover.

The "Mission" in Mission Log is to view and discuss every episode of Star Trek, presumably every incarnation, in broadcast order. They started with the anomaly of "The Cage" which was the unaired pilot, and as of this posting have gotten to "The Squire of Gothos". Each episode of the podcast goes over the basic story, looks at the general continuity, and then examines how the episode holds up today. That can be a lot of ground to cover in a discussion that is roughly the length of the episode being discussed, but it goes remarkably well.

I do not always agree with certain points brought up, and at times I think, "hey, what about ____?" but for the most part it gives me another perspective on episodes I either loved without question, or episodes that seemed silly to me at the time. Fortunately, they do not get too much into the "that is scientifically impossible" aspect of Trek.

So, give them a listen at missionlogpodcast.com. They are part of the Nerdist suite of podcasts, and nicely done. Well worth a listen for fans, but also for those of us less familiar with The Original Series; at least for now. A particularly good episode, I think, is "The Corbomite Maneuver" which I originally thought was silly, but put in the framework they discuss makes perfect sense.

2 comments:

Caffeinated Joe said...

I have been enjoying the podcast and it has been a reason for me to actually watch the show, in order. I have seen a few episodes here and there, but never all of them. Right now, with everything going on in life, I am behind, but hope to catch up soon. Fun stuff!

Darius Whiteplume said...

I had started to rewatch them prior to the podcast. Sadly, I get so little time to watch tv that I have been just listening to the podcast on my commute. I am finally up to the current episode, so will be lost for a while. Maybe I'll record the audio from the television episodes? Hmm...

Post a Comment