Saturday, December 15, 2012

Todd & the Book of Pure Evil (2010)

So, you know how Netflix likes to recommend things to you and you say something like "you don't know me, Netflix!"? Well, if Todd & the Book of Pure Evil is in your suggestion list then you, like me, owe Netflix an apology.

Now, to be fair, I thought this was Tucker & Dale vs. Evil, which was suggested by a questionable source, and let it languish there. In a fit of post flu boredom Saturday morning I gave in to Netflix's persistence, and boy am I happy I did.

This is a Canadian television show from the Space channel, which is a bit deGrassi and a bit film-version Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Mix in some Friday the 13th television show, lots of weed humor, subversive humor, and Jason Mewes, and you have the show.

Todd, is a high school loser, wannabe heavy metal guitarist, and chronic masturbator who discovers The Book of Pure Evil in his high school's trophy case. When he uses the book to win the battle of the bands, he sets it loose for a series of weekly adventures where the book takes over another student and wreaks havoc. Joining with his best friend and one-armed drummer Curtis, his dream girl Jenny, and nerd girl who adores him Hannah, the four try to stop the book. Their guidance counselor, Atticus Murphy Jr., is part of a satanic cabal seeking the book, unbeknownst to the heroes.

I find it to be hilarious, subversive, a bit perverted, and satirical. I watched the first seven episodes without pause. Netflix has the first two seasons streaming, and it is well worth your time. Atticus is particularly funny, by the way.

4 comments:

Ivan said...

Okay, I added it to my Netflix list. I liked Tucker & Dale, and my wife was a big fan of Reaper's first season, so we'll give it a try. But if you're wrong, [Marvin the Martian voice:] "I will be SO angry!"
Thanks!

Darius Whiteplume said...

I hope it does not disappoint :-)

Jay Amabile said...

I've had this on my queue for so long and haven't watched it yet so I will have to give it a shot!

Darius Whiteplume said...

I think you'll like it. Metal, high school, Satanic guidance counselor... What's not to like?

Post a Comment