Sunday, August 25, 2013

¡Celebración de Mexploitatión!



This week we are looking into the wonderful world of Mexploitation!

I have to admit, I am not well schooled in Mexploitation, but am fascinated by it. It is not all Luchador movies, though those are certainly a big part of the equation.There is a great deal of horror (most famously Alucarda), some nunsploitation, and a lot of revenge films.

Something I have been wondering while watching films for these posts: why did Roger Corman go to the Philippines instead of Mexico? I imagine part of it may have been censorship (Corman's Filipino films had a high jiggle factor). Part might have been expense. Since Mexico had a developed film industry, you might have seen more expense from unions and such, this would have put off the notoriously penny-pinching Corman... Lastly, and most importantly though, is the role the Philippines' government adopted the US film makers.

Another item of interest, to me. It seems there were a great many actors and filmmakers in Mexico from Europe, particularly in the '60s. Alfredo Crevenna was born in Germany, Maura Monti is from Italy, Tina Romero (Alucarda) is from the United States; which makes me wonder, when was Mexico the promised land? I love Mexico, for the record, but you don't really think of people emigrating there. Certainly they do, but when a filmmaker like Jess Franco (who is Mexican and Cuban) left Spain for other parts of Europe, one must wonder why he did not go to Mexico and so many others did? In Franco's case, I will assume the censorship is the answer, but again I am no student.

Anyway, expect an uneducated look at a few films this week. Everything I have watched is from YouTube. Some is all Spanish, some has subtitles, and some have English dubbing. For the all-Spanish ones, I will attempt to recreate the story as I understand it; though you will find I fail at times.

I hope you enjoy it, and as I say, I am no scholar of the genre. If you have anything to add or correct me on, feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment