Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Things You Should Know About: Blood & Tacos (@bloodandtacos)

If you are like me (and because I am a narcissist I will assume you are) you enjoy a good adventure story, but what you enjoy more is a tongue-in-cheek version of such a story. Blood & Tacos is a series of collected stories that follow the classic Men's Adventure style of story by various writers who purport to be the discoverers of a piece of lost/forgotten fiction.

True to the genre, the stories can be offensive and archaic, and feel poorly written, but it is typically plain that the authors are aping the inspiration material. I'm sure Men's Adventure magazines had a Raymond Chandler or two... well, a Mickey Spillane or two, let's be honest... but they also had a ton of guys who could crank out lot of semi-cohesive stories that pushed all the right buttons; sex, violence, and intolerance being the "Konami Code" of writing, to stick with the button analogy. The stories I have read so far do a wonderful job of recreating that; sometimes specifically parodying their inspiration in an Airplane! fashion, sometimes more of an Our Man Flint type satire.

I am late to this, but there have been some wonderfully done podcast cum audio books of Blood & Tacos stories, which you can find on iTunes, or through the website. The first installment was a hilarious story, "Chingón: the World's Most Dangerous Mexican", which is happily not a Macheté parody, per se, more like I would imagine La Ley del Revolver is, or one of the many other Mexican comics I cannot read. (thanks to ¡Historietas Perversas! for opening that NSFW world to me)

Blood & Tacos #4 features a story by long time friend of the blog, Thomas Pluck. At 99¢ on Kindle, you can't go wrong. Check out the podcast. If you don't love "Chingón: the World's Most Dangerous Mexican" in free audio format, then I will owe you a beer at the bar of my choosing. It's win-win, right?

2 comments:

Skyline Spirit said...

pretty nice blog, following :)

Darius Whiteplume said...

Glad you like it. I need to post something new eventually... Tumblr has made thinky-blogging too difficult for me.

Post a Comment