Monday, July 21, 2014

Clerics Get No Love & Gay Nerd Representation

So, the other night friend of the blog, Darla Crane (not always safe for work, but a lovely person), posted a link to the book Ill Met in Tanivar: A Sinjin and Asamir Adventure, which is a D&D-like, gay erotic story. I mentioned that I thought gay nerds were under represented, which Darla retweeted. A few people favorited that retweet. This got me thinking.

In Clerics Get No Love, I have often considered making Wizard gay. Not for any reason other than to add some missing dimension. The main characters in the comic are mostly aspects of myself, and the side characters are either other aspects or based on players or gaming experiences. Wizard was often the least well defined. The reason I did not decide to make Wizard gay previously is that I am typically of the opinion that in a perfect world sexual preference and race would not be an issue. After listening to comedian Todd Glass on The Kevin Pollak Chat Show, and seeing the response to my tweet I began to feel this was an unrealistic stance, and decided to go ahead. Here are the two comics published last week.



(the floaty hearts were a suggestion by the lovely and talented Sparkle Jew Barbie)


My intention here is to not make a huge deal out of Wizard being gay, but to in my own small way add a sense of normalcy to a more common than many of us know situation. I have been in games with gay players, and there was some closeting going on. In one instance, I am sad to say, when one player's preference came to light, that was sort of the end of our playing relationship. I hope that I was not a party to the split. To be completely honest, I did not get along with him, but I do not think his being gay was a factor.

Anyway, I assume some of you are asking, "what the hell does this have to do with anything?" It has been a rambling, semi-pointless post. Hopefully it has given you something of interest. A large part was as a way for me to explin the comic, since Tumblr is not the best forum.

Will I do much more with Wizard being gay? Maybe, maybe not. Just remember that the people you play D&D with are your fellow party members. You don't have to be best friends, you don't have to hang out when you are not playing, so why should it matter if their orientation differs from yours?

Comments are, as always, more than welcome. That's the other reason for posting here.

2 comments:

Gene Phillips said...

It sounds to me like you have the right attitude. I don't know exactly why Rowling chose not to reveal the orientation of Dumbledore in the Potter books, but I think part of her decision was to make it clear that his orientation did not influence his actions, both good and bad. Dumbledore was simply a person, regardless of orientation.

Darius Whiteplume said...

Hi Gene, I don't know how to look at the Rowling/Dumbledore thing. Maybe she didn't want to make the reveal until the kids who (or more likely who's parents) would have a problem with a gay character fell in love with him. On the other side, it isn't like Dumbledore's preference really had any bearing on his motivation. He is pretty asexual throughout, in that there is no need for a love interest in his arc. Snape's preference is a driving force, so if he were in love with James instead of Lilly, that would have to be addressed. I don't think she made the reveal out of any monetary motivation, as she was already swimming in dough. I never bothered to look for her reasoning (if she has ever stated such).

Post a Comment